Saturday, November 8, 2008

Applying core themes: my current study

I am about to graduate from my undergraduate Bachelor of Science majoring in Pharmacology. While this will mark the end of one phase of my studying, I have been accepted into the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program next year, so I still have a long road of study ahead.

In the field of biomedical science at UQ, probably the largest computing hurdle relates to the COMP1900 themes of 'Interface as a Mediator' and 'Alternantive Software': my faculty (Biological and Chemical Sciences) and in particular my school (School of Biomedical Sciences) almost exclusively run Macs. The need for Macs is apparent in the wet labs in my School - many of the instrumentation used in physiology and pharmacology experiments are designed for use with Macs. With all due respect to the academics in my School, however, I also have a sneaking suspicion that a large number them are a bit bolshie and like being different to the rest of the university. This generates numerous problems for students even in third year who are not familiar with the peculiarities of the foreign operating system.

Literature reviews are a frequent mode of assessment in the subjects that I have done, and in this regard the theme 'The Power of the Computer' comes to the fore. The ability to rapidly search a wide array of journals from across the world all from a computer in Brisbane is an extraordinary advancement compared to the situation even a decade ago. Lecturers now frequently expect students to use the phenomenal resources available through the computers and databases to find the latest information on topics they present, so that we are always at the cutting-edge of knowledge in our field.

No comments: